Thursday

Trumpet but no Bone.



Today is the day I am to leave on my business trip to Seoul & Beijing, back into the hustle and bustle of city. I’ve been busy with work and with family for the past few days and haven’t been able to make it out to fish, which is a little insane considering that there are many fish to be caught in Hawaii. I broke away from the regular cycle of things to get in a little fishing time this morning. I fished the reef that I know, and upon arrival was greeted by the awesome Hawaiian skies and even a big rainbow. I fished for an hour without any bites or sighting of bone fish, but I felt a tug and the line started to strip out and turn around me. It felt too light to be a bone fish so I didn’t know what to expect, still it pulled out some line from the drag set reel. A trumpet fish, the first I have ever caught. I was a little bit freaked out because it was bigger than I imagine of a trumpet fish. I strolled the waters a little more then I saw another angler at distance. It was Ed! E.T. from Nervous Waters, on his day off- fishing for his own pleasure. We shared a smoke, talked a bit and he started to point out the bone fish all around us. It’s funny, just being with Ed, I was able to spot groups of bone fish that I wasn’t able to spot before. They were big, 5-7 pounders swimming in groups of 2-5, cruising at fast speeds. It was time for me to leave to go pick up the kids from school, but the fact that I saw so many fish around me was very promising. Ed and I will go out to fish many times in the month of July, as soon as I return back here end of this month. As I said good bye and walked off, I heard Ed yell to me … he had a fish on and his rod was jerking back and forth with the fish jetting away from Ed. Ed had a big smile and he yelled – see you back soon. Although I did not hook up with a bone fish, it was good day to be out.







5 comments:

  1. awesome story. planning on taking my boat out tomorrow night to catch some stripers. hope my back will hold up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. is the boat out yet? Can't wait to see those big boys, hopefully you'll catch some of them on fly rods. However, play it safe with the back - not worth all that trouble if you only get to go out once for the whole seasons. Just landed in Hong Kong - one of my favorite cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charles, how are things in NY? It sounds like you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you boys for your concerns. It's very slow healing process with my back but i'm sure I will be fishing with you guys shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine who talked alot of smack about how he is a master of netting live bunkers and how he knows exactly where they are couldn't deliver on that day. Didn't pack any other bait so we skunked out...

    ReplyDelete