Saturday

Finding my honey hole.










I’ve made myself a promise this season, to fish places that I did not fish last year. Still, it’s hard to not return to the “honey hole” (a phrase I picked up from Capt. Kent Klewein) when fishing time is limited and I want to meet some trout. Anyone who fishes locally (Northern Illinois/ Southwestern Wisconsin) knows this pond well, so I’ll spare the details of how convenient & nice this pond is. Just because there’s a lot of trout in there doesn’t mean they are dumb trout – in fact, they can frustrate you to the point where you start to doubt your skills altogether. I call them educated because they know a hook when they see one. I’ve had days when I’ve caught nothing here, and it drives me nuts because I can see them, lot of them, approaching and refusing my fly. I sometimes think there are smarter ones among them that steer the other trout away – probably yelling in trout language “only a blue gill would bite that shit, don’t you see the hook?”. I had better luck this day, caught a few nice sized ones. I could not get my hands on the jumbos in there, but one day I will. Driving to and from fishing spots, I am reminded (of how lucky I am) that I have such opportunity to see American farmland that I would never otherwise see. The smile on the side of the barn brings a smile to my face as well.











3 comments:

  1. GF, thank you for sharing the story. What kind of job do you have? ㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have some really good pics of fishing there in winter, I will post some soon. I've never been another season so its got me thinking.....let's go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mrlee. I'm heading back from Hong Kong mid next week, let's find some time to fish a local creek. This is the pond where you hooked the 16+ incher in the dead of winter.

    ReplyDelete