Thursday

Carp fishing in Taiwan




Carp now is the main target of fly fishing in Taiwan.
To catch a carp, you need a 5~7wt fly rod.(the biggest one I've ever caught is 70CM)
Because carp is very smart and spooky,
so as for me, carp fishing is much like hunting than fishing.
First, you aim a specific carp(before this, you have to learn how to tell the rise of carp and other fish),
Second, you cast your toast fly in front of it, hope it won't inspect that.
than, you hold your breath, concentrate on the surface.
Suddenly, you see a shadow comes to your fly, a big mouse opens and swallow your fly.
You stroke you rod instinctively than feel the vibration through your rod and line.
You fight, and you catch it.
See, it much like hunting.




When a spot is facing a heavy fishing pressure,
believe it or not,
carp can learn very fast.
If the river is clear enough,
you can see a carp rise to your fly and tell it a false one,
than turn around to another real toast.
I guest that is the hook let carp inspect the true or false,
so I create the up-side-down toast fly.
carp can't see the hook under water.

3 comments:

  1. Make some for me too! I'll have to practice carp stalking & catching here and then go try again for he carp in Taipei. I think you guys trained them well, and they are smarter because of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I just wondered where was that photo taken in Taiwan? And can you recommend any places in and around Taipei for carp fishing?

    I have been fishing in Taipei for over a year, usually in Nangang Park, Wulai, or the Dansui river, but not had any luck finding a nice spot just to relax and go for carp.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daz, I recommend that you get in touch with the people at "http://www.fly-house.com/". They know the spots & have also fly fly materials you can buy.

    ReplyDelete