Thursday

the chase is on














I recently had the experience of hooking a northern pike, only to see it thrash in the water, and cut my line clean. Since then, I have been pretty much obsessed with landing this particular northern in this particular body of water. I have seen it a few times afterwards, but have never successfully hooked him on again. It’s a funny thing, that one fish made all the other fishing somehow different … I am now on a mission. I think about him often, and the strategy to get him back on line. I day dream about landing him, getting my old fly back, and then letting him go. Oh that will be sweet.

I have since then been buying & tying different larger pike sized flies, in various colors. I have never really fished the bigger flies, so it took some getting used to, casting mostly. The years of experience with lure fishing have given me good foundation for the retrieve, but casting a wet, heavy, and mean hooked big fly keeps the attention on full alert. Last night, a few beers and a TV show on pike fishing got me tying on the bench again. Perhaps it was the beers, but somehow a bunch of bastardized flies showed up in my box out of nowhere. Hopefully soon, I will be writing about how one of these flies brought that pike into my net.













No comments:

Post a Comment