Sunday

thank you Illinois DNR














Each spring the Illinois DNR stocks 43 locations throughout IL with more than 60,000 rainbow trout. This kicks off the 2009 spring trout fishing season at 5 a.m. on Saturday, April 4. I know the stocked locations get bombarded with fisherman this day (and for that week) but I strolled over to a local lake to check out what was happening. I guess part of the fun is watching the fisherman crowded up at the banks, all trying to catch trout. Even on opening day, you will be surprised how quiet it can get, if you do a little walking into the woods, and away from the crowd. I did that, and found myself a little spot that I can stand and roll cast from. I found that the biggest challenge of fishing for trout in these waters was trying to avoid catching bluegills, which seemed to like all the flies that a trout might like. I fished for only about an hour and a half, caught several bluegills and a couple of smaller trout. This day, I felt thankful to the IDNR for making this possible. No matter how crowded it gets, it’s nice to be able to catch & see a trout 15 minutes away from my home.

The Illinois catchable trout program is made possible through the sale of inland trout stamps to those anglers who participate. Go buy your licenses and go catch a trout!

No comments:

Post a Comment