Thursday

SURF FLYFISHING PLANS, phase 1- Mexico

Getting Ready for Puerta Vallarta , Mexico vacation with my family. 

Three things I have researched for pacific coast fly fishing off these beaches, just north of the city are as follows:

1) Follow the baitfish balls, and birds- and roosters like to feed at early, early dawn.

2) The depths off the rocky shores north of Puerta Vallarta, and far south, seem to hold more promise of foraging predator fish running up schools of sardines to the shore.

3) Keep moving, and aggressively strip your streamers for feeding fish.

I have tied three food groups- 

Sardine patterns, which i feel will work well for bass and pike.
Saddle hackle provide the par marks, or bars of baitfish, but i have also used permanent marker on a few patterns.








Shrimp patterns, larger for the pacific shrimp, based on some great sites, research, and bonefish patterns.






Pacific squids- which look like a tarpon fly, with eyes located back on the shank or body of the squid.  Clear body wrap works well.
I wrap, tie in hard, and place head cement between the fly elements and components. This is due to the toothy nature of these predators shredding flys, if not tied with quality.


Do a search on "rooster fish, beach fly fishing" and tell me that you don't get passionate about hunting, catching and releasing this amazing fish. 

Keep up the passion, research, match the forage food/ hatch, etc  and fish. 

Remember my Korean friends- nymphs live 80% underwater before they hatch- what do those beautiful cherry trout eat when there is no surface hatch? 

I look forward to the next trip. As always- keep dreaming.

Your pal, kingfisher

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a handsome adventure in the making. Looking forward to the trophy shots with the fish in arms. We don’t spend nearly enough time in salty waters chasing, meeting, respecting the species that wander in them. I looked inside my box fly boxes and realize that I need to tie a whole new set of flies in order to meet fish in salt waters…I better get busy. Thanks for the inspiration and let me know if that rooster crows.

    ReplyDelete