Saturday

end of a great season…



photo - http://www.bamboo-fisher.com/

So the fishing season comes to an end … at least here in the upper mid west. Snow is here and there’s more coming each week. Yesterday we got more than 12inches /30cm of snow in one day. The lakes have already been frozen up for a while, and even the rivers are finally closing up. Early in the year I set a goal of catching 200 fish on a fly rod, and I’ve achieve that plus little more. More serious fly fishermen would probably be too embarrassed to display so many bluegills, bass, and carps that I have caught – but I am just happy to catch so many fish, regardless of their species. I have a few trout here and there whenever I had the chance to get to places with trout, but for the most part my prized fish has been the largemouth bass. I remain in that stage where catching any fish is still very exciting to me, and I feel that I might stay here a while. Some of my friends, who have fished only as long as I have already moved onto a stage where they disregard any other species than trout… we discuss this from time to time, but for the most part, you have to respect what they are after. I can say I had a great year : really got into fishing the mountain creeks, discovered the world of fly tying, and I am able to articulate what fishing means to me beyond catching fish….at least for the moment. Last year, I continued fishing during the cold months, claiming that I will “fish through the winter”. I’ll fish this winter for sure, but likely I will travel, and very likely I will spend more time at the tying bench. I sent my friends the below picture (the fish I caught in 2008) with a holiday greeting, and got back a lot of funny replies about me & small fish. Here is my favorite one from Italy.

“what's going on? I can't enlarge the composition of thumb-nails that you sent but it looks like you are specializing in catching really
tiny fish. I haven't fished in many years: is it a new niche of the fly-fishing culture? I remember that a lot of people were into fishing small streams but
not small fish.”

Happy Holidays everyone. My holiday wish for you:

for those who already fish: I hope you fish more, catch more, and catch the biggest fish next year.
for those who don’t fish yet: I hope next year brings you the opportunity to try out this wonderful activity. You just have to try it.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I go out fishing, I think of my two dear friends. Both introduced me to the joy of fishing and have nurtured the experience all along. I am glad to know that my exuberant experience of fishing will be always shared with these two friends of mine. Happy new year, fellows.

    ReplyDelete