Wednesday

my 4 weight





Catching a fish like this on my 4 weight rod, makes the day out on the water worthwhile. I hooked up with my fishing pal and mentor to throw some flies around. Sun was about to set and I slowly walked a brownish red woolly bugger along the shore line. A strong tug, then I see the line moving out towards the lake. I was more cautious this day because I had just recently hooked but lost some good fish. A few more smaller ones then we went for the beers and wings. As we loaded out gear back into the car, I noticed how different yet same out car was. Full of shit bursting into the rear seats. Jim had more camping stuff, but pretty much the same mess of equipment explosion. Conversation was good, discussed Hemmingway and his writings on fishing. Talked about how cool it would be to relive the Two Big Hearted River’s experience. That or otherwise, a grand trip was brewing...that's good. No matter how good the conversation was one rule: don’t mix wings, poppers, onion rings, and flush it down with Blue Moon beer. I had a rough night that night.

Oh, almost forgot. Of all the rods I own, I am pretty sure the 4 weight is my favorite all around rod. It is light enough to cast in the smallest of streams, yet with clever maneuvering, you can catch some pretty big fish. Wind will affect a 4 weight line, but you can cast through some of it, and that’s usually good enough to get the fly out there. I’ve caught more fish on the 4weight rod than any other rod, not only because I use it most often, but I think the amount of tension and action provides the most accuracy for me. I intend to catch a record fish on my 4 weight, even if that catch eventually breaks the rod, hopefully after I land it.

No comments:

Post a Comment