Friday

origins...



I dug through some old photos the other day and found evidence when this "bug" started with me. It was a lot earlier than I remembered. I spent a good chunk of my childhood growing up in California, and know that this is where I basically got hooked on fishing. Even as a child, I recall being intensely focused when I had the line in the water. As a child catching a small shark or a man ray was pretty exciting. For me it was equivalent to meeting amovie star(Jaws) or like meeting an alien. To this day the face of a man ray freaks me out, as it has such an alien expression (or at least what I imagine an alien to look like). Something pulled out of water with that kind of outter space feature is amazing, kid or not.
I also found a picture of myself basically wading with a stick somewhere in Korea, and that must have been the Fly Fishing influence. It's interesting how we can look back into the past and depending on what you are thinking today, even the past can have new meanings. I guess that's not too different than how a lot of history gets written.
"Historical sense and poetic sense should not, in the end, be contradictory, for if poetry is the little myth we make, history is the big myth we live, and in our living, constantly remake." Robert Penn Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment