Friday

will this fly fly...


This weekend, I took the leap and started to buy gear to tie my own flies. I had resisted this for a long time, mainly because I would rather use that time to be on the water fishing. Now that winters rolled along, and although I intend to fish through the winter, I will definitely be able to have some time to try tying my own flies. For the moment, I think I like it more for the designing part of it than having it being really effective, but I am sure I will get to the point where I will want them to work. I have seen some innovative use of materials and the overall gesture of some flies are definitely very elegant, sometimes inspiring. The first attempt turned out like...well like the first attempt. It's more difficult than it seems and I seem to have fingers that are too thick for the fine tying lines. I will keep trying, and I can't wait to catch a fish on a fly I designed. I think that will feel pretty special.


No comments:

Post a Comment