Thursday

my mentors


A mentor is a trusted teacher or adviser. I've had the fortune to meet not only one, but two in fishing. Each time we go out to fish, I come back with more knowledge than I left with. From techniques of catching the fish (how, where, when), to why we catch fish, and on why we set them free. They are mentors who will spend time to explain to me, the various aspects of entomology, physical geography, ichthyology, ethology, environment, and of conservation ... but we can just as easily switch to conversation levels that are near high school kids. Each have a different mentoring style, but both mentor through demonstration (catching more & bigger fish). Both love to fish as much as I do, and both love to talk about it (as much as I do). However, of all the things I continue to learn from them, probably the most important is that fishing is mostly about the friendship built in the process, and of time spent to reflect upon the decisions we make each day. If we catch some fish along the way, even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment